Valentine’s Day: Minimise stress & maximise fun on the most romantic night of the year.
OK, so January is over and unless you were organised enough to bag a Valentines gift in the January sale you are now thinking – yikes! Only 7 days till I need to think up another perfect gift; or thank goodness I am single and don’t need to worry about all this nonsense – or maybe you have your eye on Simon in accounts and now’s your chance to pounce?? Ok so let’s face it, perhaps the most likely scenario is that you are knee-deep in washing, may or may not have washed your hair in two days, and have little ones nipping at your ankles; and even the thought of arranging a babysitter is enough to put you off doing anything at all.
Well this is where I have to tell you to pull up your superwoman pants and get your thinking cap on, because ladies I firmly believe that making time for you and your loved one is actually MORE important than making time for your babies – there I have said it!
Of course, like me you love your little cherubs with all your heart – we all do and I totally get that, buuuuuttttt – your partner is also in need of your love just as much and he / she is less likely to forget if you don’t make the effort.
I am by no means suggesting you spend a fortune going out, or shower them with gifts, but maybe there is something special you can do TOGETHER? I personally love making memories with fun and different activities, so much more than exchanging physical items. As we have been together for 12 years, I’m very fortunate to say that I already have the lovely jewels, picture frames, candles, and pieces of art that I still enjoy, but more importantly I have amazing memories such as the time we went on the ‘James bond boat’ on the Thames, or walked along the Tower of London on a conveyer belt (I kid you not!) with 600 other Londoners, all trying to be romantic! It was time such precious time together and created some lovely memories.
It’s not about what you wear or where you go, for me it really is the thought that counts and the thought can just be actually thinking about your other half and putting some time aside for you both. If you are stuck for some ideas then here are few ideas:
- Stay in with some Love Honey Scratch Cards – say no more!
- Cook a pizza and write a lovely message in olives (did that once!) Serve with a chilled glass of vino
- Spa day for two – I laugh out loud remembering the times we have had spa days in the past and one time Scott’s masseuse was a bit behind mine and he was freaking out when I started screaming as she started to walk on me in Bangkok!
- A nice dinner at your favourite restaurant – We have been going to this restaurant for the past 4 years for our valentines day – why? because we love it and it also gives us a chance to reflect on how things were the last time we were there a year before – and I LOVE thai food 🙂
- for the thrill seekers out there or if you love to get competitive why not go Karting
- Go to a gig – my favourite choice and hopefully his too 🙂
Whatever you get up to, even if it’s a night on the sofa with a DVD, you won’t regret trying to make it special for your beau.
Personally, I’ve booked tickets to the Global Awards for our night out – I’ve got no idea if it will be good or not, but in the spirit of adventure and having a laugh together no matter what, it will definitely be fun either way!
Lots of love to you this Valentine’s Day